NAO Robots enable teachers to have a project-oriented approach that includes many hands-on experiments. These are proven, effective learning strategies for many students, especially those learning English as a second language. For students of all ages and levels, this robot makes classes more lively and fun and furthers their commitment and interest in STEM subjects.
Teachers that have used humanoid robots during their classes all agree that they have a great motivational impact on students and that it raises the bar for learning in the classroom. The management skills learned through team projects makes lessons with humanoid robots even more motivating.
- Body with 25 degrees of freedom (DOF) whose key elements are electric motors and actuators
- Sensor network, including 2 cameras, 4 microphones, sonar rangefinder, 2 IR emitters and receivers, 1 inertial board, 9 tactile sensors, and 8 pressure sensors
- Various communication devices, including voice synthesizer, LED lights, and 2 high-fidelity speakers
- Intel ATOM 1,6ghz CPU (located in the head) that runs a Linux kernel and supports proprietary middleware (NAOqi)
- Second CPU (located in the torso)
- 27,6-watt-hour battery that provides 1.5 or more hours of autonomy, depending on usage
Choregraphe enables researchers to program without mastering any code and lets students discover the general logic and the key concepts of programming. You can also introduce programming (C++, Python..) and explore various areas of research in robotics and investigate the robot’s capabilities: vision, audio treatment, control, planning, navigation…
The API is currently available in at least 8 languages. Apart from some minor language-specific differences, it is mostly the same across all languages, allowing you to bring knowledge from one language to another.
You can only write NAOqi’s module in C++ and Python, but you have access to the full client API in all languages. Only C++ and Python are supported on the robot, other languages are only supported on computer to remotely access NAO.